It is not the first time RJ Watches joins forces with entertainment companies to give birth to collaboration watches – think superhero models like Spiderman or Batman. However, the watches you’re about to see today are the first collaboration-pieces based on the Arraw (editor’s note – Arraw is the brand’s new signature model) and the first ones to celebrate two villains: the Joker and Harvey Two-face.
Why do supervillains fascinate us? Why do we love to hate them? Sometimes our subconscious just takes pleasure in siding with the baddies… Without developing psychoanalytic theories here, villains are really getting more and more in vogue these days. Maybe because their character is often more complex, intriguing, ironic or unpredictable. And very often they get the best lines in movies.
RJ Arraw The Joker
The Joker is Batman’s arch-enemy, a psychopath with a clown-like appearance and a sadistic sense of humour. He was first introduced in Batman #1 (1940) and has remained popular since then.
RJ’s take on the character is a 45mm titanium Arraw chronograph with its signature rubber bumpers. The bezel is laser-engraved with a Joker motif. The dial features a plaster-like finish hand-painted in a stylistic interpretation of the Joker’s face. The hands and hour markers are heart-shaped and the center seconds counter-weight depicts a Joker logo.
Turning the watch over, the rotor is personalized with a representation of Batman’s enduring enemy. The Arraw The Joker is delivered with three interchangeable straps (green, purple alligator leather and rubber). The Arraw easy-to-change strap system allows the strap to be released by pressing on the two batman logo lug screws.
Technical specifications – Arraw Chronograph, the Joker
- Case: 45mm diameter – titanium case – sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating – screw-in crown – water-resistant to 100m
- Movement: automatic RJ2042 caliber (ETA/Dubois-Depraz based) – 42h power reserve – 57 jewels – 28,800 vibrations/h – hours, minutes, small seconds, date and chronograph
- Strap: delivered with 3 interchangeable straps; green and purple alligator leather strap, rubber strap – folding clasp
- Limited edition of 100 pieces
- Price: EUR 13,600 (excl. taxes)
RJ Arraw Two-Face
The second Batman adversary elected by RJ and Warner Bros/DC Comics is Harvey Dent a.k.a Two-Face. Hideously scarred by acid, Dent went insane, becoming a criminal obsessed by duality.
The subsequent collaboration watch is a 45mm titanium Arraw evoking the personality of the villain. One side is structured with a dial and a polished case. The other is distressed with chemical burns and a skeletonized movement. Likewise, the interchangeable strap is made of calf leather and rubber. The arrow-shaped hands and hour markers are filled with luminescent material. The small seconds is a rotating coin.
Flipping the watch over, the exhibition caseback reveals the caliber RJ004-M. This hand-wound skeleton movement, manufactured with Concepto, ticks at 4Hz and features a 48-hour power reserve.
Technical specifications – Arraw Two-face
- Case: 45mm diameter – titanium case – sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating – sapphire caseback – screw-in crown – water-resistant to 100m
- Movement: automatic RJ004-M caliber – 48h power reserve – 21 jewels – 28,800 vibrations/h –hours, minutes and small seconds
- Strap: calf and rubber interchangeable strap with folding clasp
- Limited edition of 100 pieces
- Price: EUR 17,200 (excl. taxes)
Both watches are limited editions of 100 pieces and priced at EUR 13,600 (excl. taxes) for the RJ Arraw The Joker and EUR 17,200 (excl. taxes) for the RJ Arraw Two-Face. For more information, please visit www.rjwatches.com.