Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph Perpetual Calendar in pink gold
More then a year ago, in June 2011, Vacheron Constantin launched the most complicated watch in the Overseas collection. The first Overseas Chronograph Perpetual Calendar came in a titanium/steel case, one of the three choices of metals that Vacheron Constantin offers. Yesterday VC launched another version of the Overseas Chronograph Perpetual Calendar, but now in pink gold.
Because the photo of the VC Overseas Chronograph with deep blue dial, that we introduced yesterday, got so many positive responses, we show you the Overseas Chronograph Perpetual Calendar (or QP from Quantième Perpetuel like the French say), in exactly the same angle. A ‘dramatic’ view on a stunning timepiece!
To be honest, usually I’m a purist and therefore no fan of mixing styles. Since the Overseas is a chic, elegant and sporty styled watch, my first response on mixing this style with a perpetual calendar would be skeptical. However seeing the photos of the new Overseas Chrono QP didn’t leave any room for doubt, this is a stunning watch!
I can imagine this watch will not be worn during sports activities, something for which the watch was originally designed, I’m sure it looks good with either casual clothing or combined with a suit and tie. The combination of the pink gold case on a brown alligator leather strap gives this watch an extra boost of “chic”. And so does the combination of pink gold case with the grey/beige dial. The hands and hour-markers are accented with white luminescent substance ensuring readability even in the dark.
Inside the Overseas Chronograph QP beats calibre 1136 QP, that comprises of 228 parts. This caliber is a mechanical self-winding movement, just as one would expect from a sports watch. It oscillates at the rate of 21,600 vibrations per hour and is endowed with a power reserve of approximately 40 hours.
In addition to the hours, minutes and small seconds at 6 o’clock, Calibre 1136 QP powers the chronograph functions: central sweep seconds-hand, 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock and 12-hour counter at 9 o’clock. And of course it also powers the functions of the perpetual calendar: day of the week, date, 48-month counter (!!) with leap years as well as a moon-phase display.
The Overseas Chronograph Perpetual Calendar is delivered with two straps: one vulcanized brown rubber and a brown alligator leather strap. Both straps are held together by a pink gold triple-blade, double-pusher folding clasp.
A really cool added value is that the Overseas Chrono QP is delivered with a luxurious presentation box that is equipped with a watch winder! This helps to keep the watch and its perpetual calendar to indicate the correct time and date, when it’s not on the wrist. A handy and very welcome extra, especially when considering that adjusting a perpetual calendar and moon phase is always kind of a hassle.
- Reference – 49020/000R-9753 Overseas Chronograph Perpetual Calendar
- Calibre – 1136 QP mechanical self-winding
- Movement thickness – 7.90 mm
- Movement diameter – 28 mm (11 1⁄4 lignes)
- Jewelling – 37 jewels
- Number of parts – 228
- Frequency – 3 Hz (21,600 vibrations/hour)
- Indications – hours, minutes and small seconds at 6 o’clock, chronograph with column wheel, 12-hour and 30-minute counters, perpetual calendar (day of the week, date, 48-month counter with leap year indication), moon phase
- Power reserve – approximately 40 hours
- Case – 18K 5N pink gold, 42 mm in diameter, screwed-down crown and push pieces, solid case-back with stamped “Overseas” medallion, satin-finished table, polished bezel, chamfered edges
- Water resistance – tested at a pressure of 15 bar (approx. 150 metres)
- Dial – light grey opaline with black painted indications and scales, light grey snailed counters with 5N gold-plated diamond polished filets White painted external zone, hands and hour-markers in 18K 5N pink gold with white luminescent material
- Strap – dark brown Mississippi alligator leather strap, hand-stiched, saddle-finish, large square scales, delivered with a second strap in dark brown rubber
- Clasp – 18K 5N pink gold triple blade folding clasp, double security with buttons
If you like to know more about the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Perpetual Calendar (or QP) ref. 49020/000R-9753 or other VC timepiece, then please consult the Vacheron Constantin website.
This article is written by Frank Geelen, executive editor for Monochrome Watches.