Métiers D’Art are deeply ingrained in Vacheron Constantin’s tradition. At SIHH 2017, the Geneva-based Manufacture is introducing a collection in tribute to Nicolaus Copernicus, the Polish mathematician and astronomer who heralded a scientific revolution, putting forward the theory of heliocentrism, overturning all existing beliefs. Three different versions bring different interpretations of the theme into three expressions of exceptional craftsmanship – all powered by a movement animating a fascinating reproduction of the earth’s rotations around the sun.
The first version of the Copernicus Celestial Spheres watch boasts a champlevé grand feu enamel dial drawing inspiration from an astronomical map of the Copernican system as drawn by Andreas Cellarius. The second dial is hand-engraved with the signs of the zodiac intertwined and overlapping on a white gold disc. The third dial combines laser engraving and hand-engraving on sapphire crystal.
The new automatic calibre 2460 RT (certified with the Hallmark of Geneva) features two triangular peripheral gold hands driven by large wheels positioned on the outer part of the movement. The hour hand is open-worked while the minute hand is solid. The highlight of the watch is the path of the earth around the sun operating in a realistic motion: an elliptical orbit in 365.2421898 days, meaning one tropical year while the earth is also spinning on its axis in 24 hours. This precise mechanism requires a correction of one day in 8,000 years only.
Overall, this Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’Arts Copernicus Celestial Spheres a highly poetical (maybe not very useful, but that’s not the point here) watch, boasting the savoir-faire of this sublime manufacture.
Technical specifications – Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’Arts Copernicus Celestial Spheres
- Case: 43 mm diameter x 12.9 mm height – 18k white gold – sapphire crystal on the front and on the back
- Movement: Calibre 2460RT – automatic winding – 36h power – 28,800 vibrations/h – 27 jewels – hours, minutes with peripheral hands. Earth orbit around the Sun and Earth rotation on itself.
- Strap: alligator leather strap, white gold folding buckle
- References: 7600U/000G-B212 (Grand Feu enamel) / 7600U/000G-B211 (Hand-engraving) / 7600U/000G-B226 (Sapphire)
- Hallmark of Geneva certified timepieces
- Only available in Vacheron Constantin Boutiques