Last week, we’ve introduced you the new Panerai Radiomir 1940 3-Days Automatic with Panerai’s First Micro-Rotor Movement. During Watch and Wonders 2014, Panerai also came with something less mainstream, more complicated, more limited. But something that some of us can dream of: a Radiomir 1940 equipped with the P2005 movement, meaning a tourbillon with a second time-zone and 6 days of power reserve. Here is the Panerai Radiomir 1940 Tourbillon GMT Oro Rosso PAM558.
Panerai is know for its rugged, large, massive and now iconic dive watches. Inspired by 1940s and 1950s editions, all of them share the same DNA. What especially differentiates the watches from the Officine are the materials used for the cases and the movements. Some of them relies on simple ETA 6497 but most are using in-house calibres now. And some are using superb manufacture movements. Take a look at the Panerai Radiomir Platino and Oro Rosso 47mm Special Edition or the Panerai Radiomir 1940 Chronograph and you’ll understand our definition of superb. OK, both are using some of our favorite movements, some Minervas, known for their glamorous curves. With the Radiomir 1940 Tourbillon GMT Oro Rosso PAM558, Panerai prefers to keep the game modern – at least for the movement – and encloses a P2005 into its new limited edition.
The P2005 that equipped the Panerai Radiomir 1940 Tourbillon GMT Oro Rosso PAM558 is not new – which doesn’t mean it is not a piece of interest. We already covered it when Panerai introduced the Luminor 1950 Tourbillon GMT Ceramica. It comes with an unusual 30-second tourbillon that rotates perpendicular to the balance, when a classical tourbillon does its rotation on its axis and (usually) in one minute. It also features Panerai’s usual ¾ style (even if it is composed of 3 separated bridges), with a straight graining, that hides 3 barrels, for 6 days of power reserve – indicated on the movement side by a hand. All of this is of course visible through a sapphire caseback, that will allow you to enjoy the polish beveled angles of the bridges and the circular graining of the main plate.
Talking about mechanics, the front shows also some interesting features, with a GMT hand located on the central axis, a second time-zone at 3 (with AM / PM indication) and a small second at 9 (inside this subdial is a rotating tourbillon indicator). The GMT hand can be adjusted by one-hour increments directly by the screwed crown, without disturbing the seconds or the minutes. The dial comes with Panerai’s iconic sandwich structure. The Panerai Panerai Radiomir 1940 Tourbillon GMT Oro Rosso PAM558 has a nicely grained face, with a brown satin sunburst finish.
Moving to the case, collectors won’t be disturbed as it presents the classical Radiomir 1940 shape – meaning large lugs (not the wire loop strap attachments of the classical Radiomir) and a case without the crown protection of the Luminor models. This the transitional shape between the two iconic models of the brand, the old Radiomir and the more modern 1950’s Luminor. It is here made of 18k red gold (Oro Rosso in Panerai’s nomenclature) and has a quite impressive 48mm diameter. Not the most discreet combination. However, the brown dial and strap with this gold case are highly elegant and warm.
The Panerai Radiomir 1940 Tourbillon GMT Oro Rosso PAM558 will be limited at 3à pieces only, for a price that is not yet defined. More about it on Panerai’s Official Website.
Specifications of The Panerai Radiomir 1940 Tourbillon GMT Oro Rosso PAM558:
- Movement: hand-wound mechanical, Panerai P.2005 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai, 16¼ lignes, 9.1 mm thick, 31 jewels, Glucydur® balance, 28,800 alternations/hour. KIF Parechoc® anti-shock device. Power reserve 6 days, three barrels. 239 components.
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, second time zone, 24h indicator, power reserve indicator on the back, tourbillon.
- Case: Diameter 48 mm, 18 ct. polished red gold. Screw-down winding crown personalized OP.
- Bezel: 18 ct. polished red gold.
- Back: See-through sapphire crystal.
- Dial: Brown, with luminous Arabic numerals and hour markers. 24h indicator at 3 o’clock, seconds and tourbillon indicator at 9 o’clock.
- Crystal: Sapphire, formed of corundum, 1,5 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating.
- Water-resistance: 5 bar (~ 50 metres).
- Strap: PANERAI personalised alligator strap and polished 18 ct. red gold adjustable buckle.
- Reference: PAM00558.