After first bringing a wrist instrument able to forecast the weather, after then imagining a timepiece with a fully functional, high-performance mechanical altimeter, now Breva have unveiled yet another totally unique complication. If chronographs, GMTs, calendars are already used and abused, Breva’s latest offering now comes in the form of the world’s first-ever wristwatch with a functional speedometer. It’s called the Breva Genie 03 and yes, it does also tell the time.
Breva’s motto is to create watches equipped with instruments made to monitor your environment. The first example was the 2013 Breva Genie 01, a unique timepiece that displays altitude and weather forecasting barometric pressure (and also the power reserve and the hours and minutes). One year later, Breva came with out the Genie 02, which features a fully functional precision mechanical altimeter, as well as time and power reserve indications. Now that you know at which altitude you are and what will be the weather in the coming hours, they now felt that it was time for you to know at which speed you’re traveling. And the answer comes with the Breva Genie 03.
When closed and not in use, the Breva Genie 03 seems more simple than the two previous editions. In fact, it is more simple. On the face, when can spot only three main indications. The first one is something quite convenient for a watch: a dial that tells the time. Breva might create strange and unique instruments, but they are still watches. So, at 7 and slightly recessed sits the main time-dial, made in sapphire crystal with white gold indices and that displays the hours, the minutes and the seconds – all on the central axis. This part of the watch is open to reveal some technical parts, such as several gears, the barrel and the escapement module. The second indication is also well known, as it is a power reserve indicator directly readable from the skeletonized barrel with a scale printed on it.
What really catches our interest in the Breva Genie 03 is not its timing capacities. The third indication, located at 2, and displayed within a large module, is a speedometer. Usually, if someone wants to calculate a speed with the help of a watch, it has to be done with a chronograph. We all remember our mathematic classes… We all know that speed is equal to distance divided by time. So, by timing the elapsed time to run a defined distance, you easily obtain a speed. The usual way is start your chronograph at a certain point and let it run for 1 kilometer. Then, by looking at the tachymeter scale around your chronograph, you obtain a speed in kilometers per hour. However, this brings one main problem: the speed calculated is an average speed over a certain distance and not an instant speed.
The Breva Génie 03 is fitted with a patented “instant speed” mechanism. When pressing the pusher at 2, a measurement module extends by 6mm and brings a “real-time” measure of the speed of the wearer. It uses the exact same system than old anemometers: 3 hemispherical Robinson cups fixed on a central axis and that uses wind to let them rotate and thus, to display the actual speed of the wind. The Titanium G5 extrusion mechanism is comprised of 45 components and measures wind speed from 20 to 200 km/hour or from 10 to 125 mph (depending on the choice of the owner).
There are two different ways to use this device. First manner is to use it to calculate the speed of the wind around you, by just standing where you are. The other use is much more interesting as you can strap the Breva Genie 03 while cycling, yachting or driving a sports car and then, displayed your travel speed. Now imagine this device while sitting in the bucket seat of your Porsche 911 convertible, your left arm through outside of the car and your watch telling you your actual speed. Or imagine you navigating on a Riva Runabout with your left arm holding the top of the windscreen and your Breva Genie 03 displaying you speed. Isn’t it cool?
The Breva Genie 03 comes in a 44.7mm case made of Grade 5 Titanium, alternating satin and polished surfaces – with the same look as the Genie 01 and Genie 02 – and fitted on a rubber strap. Inside ticks a proprietary mechanical automatic movement developed exclusively by Breva, with a 60 hours of power reserve and a micro-rotor winding system. The Breva Genie 03 is water resistant to 30 meters, no matter if the Speedometer is opened or not. Thus you can use it in rainy or humid conditions.
The Breva Genie 03 will be priced at CHF 48.800 before taxes. More details can be found on Breva’s website.
- Hours, minutes, seconds, instant speed, power reserve indicator
Case, Dials and Strap
- Case material: titanium G5
- Dimensions: 44.70 mm x 15.70 mm
- Thickness with anemometer closed: 17.50 mm
- Thickness with the anemometer open: 23.50 mm
- Number of components: 83
- Crown: setting crown at 4 o’clock
- Pusher: speedometer activation pusher at 2 o’clock
- Crystals: sapphire crystal and display back treated with anti-reflective coating on both sides
- Time dial: white gold indexes on smoked translucent sapphire crystal dial
- Speedometer dial: printed inner speed indexes and engraved lacquered field external speed scale on bezel.
- Speed scales: available in kilometers or miles per hour measurements
- Water resistant movement: 30 meters (at all times)
- Water resistant speedometer: 30 meters (speedometer closed)
- Dust resistant: speedometer active
- Strap and buckle: natural rubber strap with titanium G5 pin buckle
- Proprietary mechanical automatic movement developed exclusively by Breva
- Caliber: BRE03.001
- Diameter: 35 mm
- Number of components: 230
- Number of jewels: 34
- Balance frequency: 4 Hz displayed balance wheel
- Power reserve: 60 hours through front facing skeletonized barrel
- Automatic system, micro rotor engraved with the Breva compass rose
- Patented instant speed scientific measurement with proprietary extrusion mechanism
- Hemispherical Patented alloy Robinson cups
- Titanium G5 extrusion mechanism
- Display: 20 to 200 km/hour or 10 to 125 mph
- Number of components: 45