The word TRIAD usually refers the many branches of Chinese organized crime organizations based in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. So what was Peter Speake-Marin thinking when he choose this name for his newest timepiece? As they say, once might be lucky, twice a coincidence, but three times is a pattern.
In this case, Peter Speake-Marin is referring to a three-note chord, which is also called ‘triad’. At the bottom right of the dial ring it reads: “3 NOTES 1 MEANING”. When played together, these three notes provide a single sound, rich in emotion, depth and meaning. Lots of symbolism, and lots of visual entertainment!
Speake-Marin isn’t shy off a bit of symbolism. On the case back of the in 2011 released Spirit Pioneer, it reads “Fight, Love & Persevere” that stands for “the drive people possess to fight on, to adapt and to forge forward, with their capacity for love never diminishing“. The TRIAD, limited to just 88 pieces, is Speake-Marin’s first timepiece in the new Mechanical Art collection. It features triple hour-minute indications over a superb open dial, all set in a 42mm stainless steel case crowned with a red gold bezel.
The Triad features triple hour-minute indications, with heat-blued Foundation-style hands, mounted on a formation of gilded topping-tool-shaped wheels, which are centered around a smaller central topping-tool-shaped seconds wheel.
The golden wheels stand out in very nice contrast against the hand-finished German silver movement plate, which has been rhodium plated. Everything is framed by gold text around the perimeter of the dial and the 18k gold bezel. Only the Roman numerals at 3, 6, 9 and 12, are white.
The back side reveals the well-known bright blue Speake-Marin mystery rotor, also with the three arms of a topping tool, rotating over the bridges of caliber Eros 2. Bold text around the perimeter of the case back is in three sections: Speake-Marin − The Piccadilly − Limited Edition of 88.
Movement: Calibre Eros 2 automatic-winding mechanical movement
- Power reserve: 120 hours
- Jewels: 35, twin barrels
- Frequency: 28,800vph / 4Hz
- Blued Speake-Marin signature ‘topping tool’ mystery winding rotor 3 black ‘Triad’ wheels and 3 gilded ‘Triad’ wheels 6 pillars in copper beryllium (Cu Bu 2)
- ‘Triad’ top plate circular-grained, rhodium-plated
- Piccadilly stainless steel case and 18K red gold bezel
- Dimensions: 42mm x 13mm
- Water resistance: 3atm/30m/100 feet
- Front and display-back sapphire crystals treated with anti-reflective coating
- Case-back circumference engraving: “Speake-Marin – The Piccadilly”, “Limited edition of 88”
- Speake-Marin pleated crown
- Natural alligator leather strap with ecru stitching, featuring red gold tang buckle
More information at the Speake-Marin website.