Introducing the new Panerai Luminor 1950 3-Days GMT 24h, ref. PAM00531, that comes with a new in-house movement, with a 24-hour second time zone function. Typical Panerai, this isn’t the smallest timepiece. It’s 44mm large case is quite massive, and isn’t easily overseen when on the wrist. But it makes sense, this type of watch was once designed to be submerged in cold and salty water. Could the Luminor 1950 3 Days GMT 24h an ideal watch for travelers and holidays? Let’s find out.
The new PAM00531 is part of the Luminor 1950 Collection, a vintage inspired range that also comprises the PAM 00557 – Left-handed Luminor 1950 3-Days 47mm that we’ve introduced to you, shortly before this year’s SIHH. The new PAM00531 is equipped with a clever and useful GMT function, which indicates a second time zone a central hand that make one full rotation in 24 hours. Previous Panerais with a GMT function displayed the second time zone with a 12-hour hands. That makes it rather difficult to determine whether it’s day or night at home, especially when the watch didn’t have a day/night indicator for the home time.
The 24-hour hand makes it easy to see the home time in one glance, and the 24-hour numerals around the dial add to the ease of reading the home time. As a Rolex GMT Master II or a IWC Ingenieur Dual Time, the hour hand can be adjusted both forward and backwards, in one-hour increments, while the 24-hour GMT hand keeps indicating the home time. It allows to set easily the (new, local) time without interfering with the minute and second hands.
The PAM00531 uses the same aesthetic codes as the rest of the Luminor 1950 collection, meaning a cushion shape case in stainless steel, here in 44mm, protruding lugs (not the wire loop strap attachments of the Radiomir) and the ‘sandwich’ dial. This dial is made of two layers, one with luminescent material and another, matt black, perforated, on the top. It allows a very high legibility, both during day or night. The last typical element is the protecting device of the crown that allows, alongside with the use of a screwed case-back and a thick crystal, a water resistance of 300 meters.
The main novelty of the Luminor 1950 GMT 24h, is this 24-hour indication that comes from its new automatic movement, the in-house Calibre P.9003. It’s an evolution of the P.9001 that also features a GMT function, but with a 12-hour display. It boasts 3 days of power reserve thanks to a double barrel – power reserve that is indicated on the back side of the movement – and the help of an efficient self-winding mechanism. It features a clever system that stops the balance wheel and resets the second-hand when pulling the crown, in order to finely adjust time. The crown allows to operate every functions, from setting home-time (with one-hour increments) to the GMT function, just like a Rolex GMT Master II – meaning no pushers or buttons in the case’s sides, in order to keep the clean style of the Panerai.
The PM00531 is supplied with two straps, one in black leather with ecru stitching and a spare black rubber one, that can easily be replaced by pushing two small pushers on the back of the lugs. In the box, you’ll also find a screwdriver and a tool for replacing straps, simply because changing straps is one the favorite games of the Paneristi (Panerai lovers).
The new Luminor 1950 3-Days GMT 24h is definitely a very good alternative in the GMT watches range. It offers the advantage of a 300m water resistance and the iconic design of the Luminor 1950. A watch that can be used to dive in the deep and salty waters, or in your own bath tub. The Luminor 1950 3-days GMT 24h is priced at € 7.900 EURO.
- Movement: Automatic mechanical, Panerai P.9003 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai, 133⁄4 lignes, 7.9 mm thick, 28 jewels, Glucydur® balance, 28,800 alternations/hour. Incabloc® anti-shock device. Power reserve 3 days, two barrels. 233 components.
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date, second time zone with 24h indication, seconds reset, power reserve indicator on the back.
- Case: Diameter 44 mm, AISI 316L polished steel.
- Bezel: Polished steel.
- Back: See-through sapphire crystal.
- Device protecting the crown: Brushed steel.
- Dial: Black with luminous Arabic numerals and hour markers. 24h indication on the edge. Date at 3 o’clock, seconds at 9 o’clock.
- Crystal: Sapphire, formed of corundum, 2.6 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating.
- Water-resistance: 30 bar (~ 300 metres).
- Strap: PANERAI personalised leather strap and trapezoidal brushed steel buckle. Supplied with a second interchangeable strap, a tool for changing the strap and a steel screwdriver.
- Reference: PAM00531
- Price: EUR7.900