Speake-Marin launches the new Classic HMS
Today, Peter Speake-Marin launches a new timepiece, the Classic HMS (Hours, Minutes and Seconds) that replaces the Original Piccadilly Collection with Enamel Dial. A stunning classic timepiece with a slimmer case, a muti-layered dial and an automatic movement with 5-days power reserve.
After releasing the Serpent Calendar earlier this year, that featured the new 5-day power reeserve movement called Eros-1, the new movement is called caliber Eros-2. Again a movement named to remind of Peter Speake-Marin’s London years. Available in stainless steel or 18-carat red gold case measuring either 38 mm or 42 mm.
This new Classic HMS is a new interpretation of Speake-Marin’s Original Piccadilly collection with Enamel Dial. The dials is now a multi-layer dial in either silvered with a fine guilloche in the centre and a circular grained outer ring, or white-lacquered finish. These choices of dial are thinner then the enamel dial of the Original Piccadilly collection and that enbaled Speake-Marin to reduce the height of the case to 12 mm.
The silvered dial’s circular graining outer ring and spiral guilloche lowered center are hand-finished. The white laquered version shows a magnificent contrast with the Foundation-style blued-steel hands and bold Roman numerals. A small topping tool icon below the centre of the dial adds a visual reference to one of the brand’s signatures, that also comes back in the ‘mystery’ rotor.
The new Eros 2 calibre is an automatic winding movement and features a long, five-day power reserve and the signature Speake-Marin ‘mystery’ rotor. The movement has a relatively large diameter and through the display-back the lovely circular-grained 3/4 bridge can be admired.
Classic HMS Technical Specifications
Dial and Hands:
- Multi-layered dial – either silvered or white-lacquered
- Silvered dial: Upper-level outer ring circular grained by hand, lower-level centre embellished with fine spiral guilloche
- Central Speake-Marin signature Foundation hands in heat blued steel, indicating hours, minutes and seconds
- Calibre Eros 2, automatic-winding mechanical movement
- Dimensions: 30.40mm x 4.35mm
- Power reserve: 120 hours
- Jewels: 35
- Twin barrels
- Frequency: 28,800vph / 4Hz
- Blued Speake-Marin signature ‘topping tool’ mystery rotor
- Features hand-finished bridges and rotor
Case and strap:
- Iconic Speake-Marin Piccadilly case crafted in either stainless steel or 18K 5N red gold, three-piece case construction, dimensions: 38mm or 42mm x 12mm
- Two-position crown: Manual winding and stop-second time setting
- Front and display-back sapphire crystals treated with anti-reflective coating
- Water resistance: 3atm/30m/100ft
- Hand-made, natural alligator leather strap
- Pin buckle in stainless steel or 18K 5N red gold to match case material
The new Speake-Marin Classic HMS starts at a price level of CHF 11,200 before taxes. More info can be found on the Speake-Marin website and the official Speake-Marin Facebook page.
Later I’ll publish some photo that I made earlier this year, including some comparisson photos between the new Classic HMS and my own Original Piccadilly with Enamel Dial. This article is written by Frank Geelen, executive editor for Monochrome Watches.