Followers of our online magazine will, without a doubt, know the British watchmaker Peter Speake-Marin. His work with legendary watchmakers Roger Dubuis and Daniel Roth has led to Chapter Two by Maîtres du Temps, and he was also involved in Chapter One together with Christophe Claret. Peter’s own watches are already well-known among collectors and connoisseurs of fine watchmaking, always sporting the familiar Speake-Marin style elements. Probably best described as a perfect balance between classic and bold, however today that subtle balance tips over: the newest version of the Spirit Mk II becomes a RAW Spirit in a matte black DLC-coated ‘jacket’. How cool is that!?!
In 2011 Peter introduced a much bolder piece than ever before and named it Spirit Pioneer. That one was limited to 68 pieces – 1968 is Peter’s year of birth – and it sold out within a few weeks. An important piece for Peter, and that’s why the Spirit Mk II was also engraved with the motto ‘Fight, Love and & Persevere’ on the case-back. The military inspired Spirit collection paved the way for new aesthetics and designs, which has led to the Spirit Mk II DLC and takes Speake-Marin into a new era.
The Spirit Mark II DLC’s dial is really something special. The one-piece dial features numerals, hour markers and minute markers in white Super-LumiNova that contrast superbly against the light-absorbing matte black dial and matte black finished case.
This is however a rather complex dial to produce, as it actually is a three-dimensional dial. First step is to create a three-dimensional mold of the multilevel dial elements, including hour and minute markers, numerals, railroad chapter ring, Speake-Marin logo and topping-tool motif, as well as the Spirit title. This mold is used to make a negative mold in which lacquer and Super-LumiNova masks are successively applied, ensuring the right materials and colors are in the correct places. When set, the one-piece dial face is removed from the mold and bonded to a traditional dial plate. The resin dial is as demanding to produce as an enamel dial.
Just look how thick the Super-LumiNova markers stick out and how gorgeous the 3-D looks are with the “engraved” name, country and model: SPEAKE-MARIN, SWITZERLAND, SPIRIT and the signature topping tool above the 6 o’clock position. I never expected Speake-Marin to introduce something so bold, but I love it.
The dial of the Spirit Mark 2 DLC is beautifully framed by a hand finished circular grained bezel. This finishing is something that is so typical for Speake-Marin, never taking a short cut but doing things thoroughly.
The new slim case, that measures a pleasant 42 mm in diameter, is sandblasted and coated with anthracite DLC. The case-back is solid and slightly domed and of course engraved with the motto ‘Fight, Love and & Persevere’.
Inside ticks a powerful automatically wound movement with a 5-day power reserve, caliber TT738. This movements has two main spring barrels, 35 jewels to make sure all pivots rotate without friction and ticks the time away at a pace of 28,800 vph or 4 Hz.
The Spirit Mark II DLC – Technical Specifications
Case and strap:
- Piccadilly three-piece stainless steel case, sandblasted, coated with matte black DLC
- Dimensions: 42mm in diameter, 12mm in height
- Water resistance: 3 atm/30 m/100 feet
- Front sapphire crystal treated with multi-layer anti-reflective coatings
- Domed compression case back with central Speake-Marin topping-tool engraving
- Black calf leather strap “ingrassato” with contrasting white stitching and DLC coated stainless steel tang buckle
Dial and Hands:
- Numerals, hour and minute markers, railroad chapter ring, Speake-Marin name, topping tool motif and Spirit title all in white Super-LumiNova moulded as part of one-piece dial with matt black base
- Foundation central hour and minute hands coated with black PVD, hand-filled with white Super-LumiNova
- PVD coated central second hand, with Super-LumiNova painted tip
Movement Calibre TT738
- Unidirectional automatic-winding mechanical movement
- Power reserve: 120 hours
- Jewels: 35
- Twin barrels
- Frequency: 28,800vph / 4Hz
The recommended retail price is SFr6900 before taxes, or about US$7600. For more information about Speake-Marin watches, retailers and events… on the Speake-Marin website.