The Tonda 1950 is one of our favorite time-only watches, here at the Monochrome redaction. Elegant and classic, yet with a modern and slightly Italian twist, it combines affordability with a superbly designed and finished movement. For 2017, Parmigiani has a new black-dialed version of the Tonda 1950 Steel collection, now with moon phase indication.
The first thing to catch your eye with Parmigiani Fleurier’s latest Tonda 1950 is its unusual moon phase display. Highly contemporary, it displays the moon as seen from the two hemispheres with two windows and two different graduations:
- South, the detail of the 29.5 days of lunar month: an approximation of the 530587981 days of the synodic month – Most moon phase watches feature a wheel with 59 teeth (= 29.5 days x 2) advancing one tooth per day, while two moons appear one after the other in a window. The moon phase requires a correction of one day every three years.
- North, the moon phase: new moon, first quarter, full moon and last quarter.
The intense opaline black dial features a symmetrical layout with a well-proportioned small seconds indication at 6 o’clock providing a counterpoint to the moonphase. The date is shown through a large window on a white disc. The thin elongated applied hour markers are paired with delta type hands with luminescent material.
With a 39.10 mm diameter and just 9.6 mm thick, the elegant round case is crafted from steel. It features the signature Tonda tear-drop case. Evident of Michel Parmigiani’s eye for design, it is softly curved while providing superb wearing comfort. The thin bezel framing the dial is slightly sloped. The crown has been enlarged which is a nice touch while providing easier operation.
The Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950 Lune is powered by the high-grade self-winding caliber Parmigiani 708, based on the caliber PF702. The movement is only 4 mm thick, thanks in part to its micro rotor, a smart solution to wind the movement in a compact construction. The micro-rotor is engraved with Parmigiani Fleurier’s distinctive barley grain decorative pattern. The bridges are nicely beveled and decorated with Geneva stripes. The balance wheel has four spokes and inertia blocks. It operates at 21,600 vibrations per hour with a power reserve of 48 hours. The caliber PF708 comprises no fewer than 211 components.
The Parmigiani Fleurier 1950 Lune is complemented with a superb matt black alligator strap closed with a steel folding buckle.
The Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Lune is a classic with a twist, combining a superb design with remarkable watchmaking expertise and craftsmanship. As you’ve come to expect from Parmigiani Fleurier, the finishing is immaculate with exacting attention to details… it is really worth a close look if you are looking for a fine high-end watch with moon phase indication. It is sophisticated, yet understated and elegant. While it can’t be called cheap at 11,900 Euros, it feels like great value for money. For more information, please visit www.parmigianifleurier.com.
Technical specifications – Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950 Lune
- Case: 39.10mm x 9.6mm – polished steel case – sapphire crystal with antireflective coating on both sides – sapphire case back – 3 ATM / 30 m water resistant
- Movement: caliber PF708 mechanical with automatic winding – Ø 30 mm x 4 mm – 48h power reserve – 21’600 vibrations/h – 29 jewels – 211 components – hours, minutes, small seconds, date and moon phase indication.
- Strap: alligator leather strap with folding buckle
- Reference: PFC284-0001400-XA1442
- Price: EUR 11,900