Recently, we introduced to you a watch with a very desirable moon phase indication. Desirable because large, superbly executed and overall, extremely precise. In addition, this watch is technically clever and finally, very elegant. We’re of course talking about the Arnold and Son HM Perpetual Moon. For the 2016 edition of Baselworld, the brand will come with something even more complicated and more impressive. Based on the same concept, the brand adds to the package a second moon-phase indicator, thus now displaying the position of the moon in the two hemispheres. Thus, that’s a rather spectacular show that the Arnold and Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon will offer.
Clearly, the the Arnold and Son HM Perpetual Moon is one of the nicest watches with indication of the moon that you’ll be able to contemplate. When most of the timepieces equipped with such a complication are usually featuring only a small aperture, the Arnold and Son features a massive 29mm moon disc, displayed in an arched aperture that runs on the entire upper half of the dial. The moon itself measures a large 11.2 mm and is crafted to be photorealistic. And not only this moon phase is superb too look at, to is also extremely precise, as it will have only one day’s deviation every 122 years (that will be corrected by a single push on the corrector placed on the caseband).
For the coming edition of Baselworld, Arnold and Son will join with the new HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon, with not one but two of the biggest moon phase indications on the market. Why two? Simply because the position of the moon and its phases are opposite on both sides of the planet. Thus, in the idea of being extremely precise, Arnold and Son features here a display that allows to know the position of the moon in the northern (on the top half of the dial) and southern (on the bottom half of the dial) hemispheres. Just like the HM Perpetual Moon, the Arnold & Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon features a guilloché dial with wave pattern, then coated with a translucent blue lacquer. This impressive display comes with the moon and the hands in red gold, matching the case.
The Arnold and Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon has a 42mm case made of 18k red gold (for the moment, as white gold and stainless steel editions will certainly be introduced later). Just like the rest of the Royal Collection, this new iteration features the classical case with double stepped lugs and sword hands, with a double finishing (polished on one side and brushed on the other). The Arnold and Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon has a rather simple display and the moon-phase excepted, it only displays the hours and minutes. However, its movement isn’t that simple. The Calibre A&S1512 features a double barrel for 90 hours of power reserve and is finished with manually chamfered bridges with polished edges, fine circular graining and Côtes de Genève rayonnantes, blued screws with polished and chamfered edges.
On the reserve side of the movement, we can see an intriguing dial, also displaying the phases of the moon. It has no no other goal than to help the wearer to set the right position of the moon on the dial side. The moons on the front have no track and in order to perfectly adjust them, Arnold and Son cleverly added a second and precise sub-dial on the caseback, with a scale and the representations of all the different phases of the moon.
The Arnold and Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon will be officially revealed at Baselworld 2016 and will have a price of 30,500 USD. You can read more about this watch on the official website of the brand.
- Calibre: A&S1512 – Manufacture Arnold & Son calibre, hand-wound, big perpetual moons, 27 jewels, diameter 34 mm, thickness 5.35 mm, power reserve 90 h, two barrels, 21’600 vibrations/h
- Functions: hours, minutes, two big perpetual moon phase indications on the front, diameter disc: 29 mm, diameter moons: 11.20 mm, third moon phase indication on the back for setting purposes
- Movement decoration: nickel-silver movement, rhodium treated with Haute Horlogerie finishing: manually chamfered bridges with polished edges, fine circular graining and Côtes de Genève rayonnantes, blued screws
- Dial colour: translucent blue lacquered guilloché, translucent blue lacquered guilloché moon disc with golden moon and stars; back dial: fine circular graining, rhodium treated, rendition of the 8 phases of the moon
- Case: 18-karat red gold, diameter 42 mm, cambered sapphire with anti- reflective coating on both sides, case back see-through sapphire, water-resistant to 30 m
- Strap: hand-stitched black or brown alligator leather
- References: 1GLAR.U03A.C122A, 18-karat red gold case, blue guilloché dial